Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Curiosity


A Captain (for the life of me I can’t remember his name) was in the mess with us in Bethlehem (not the one with three wise men and a virgin). He’d done the EOD course, and I talked him into giving a talk on bomb disposal, booby traps, and what not to do.

He set up his whole collection of landmines, bombs, timer switches, portable x-ray equipment, a box of clothes pegs (you won’t believe how handy they are if you want to make bombs), and some other odds and sods.

All the troepe came into the lecture room. “Ok guys, I’m going to coffee quickly, look but don’t touch. I’ll be back in 5 minutes” said the Cpt, and the two of us traipsed off in search of some coffee.

I don’t think we were more than 30 metres from the lecture room when there as a huge crash, followed by screaming and shouting, and a whole bunch of troepe fighting to get out the door – white smoke billowing after them.

The Captain had attached some of the exhibition to a flashbang or two, and even nastier, to a CS canister taped to the underside of the table. Tear gas really is horrible. It was probably an hour or two before the troepe were in a fit state to listen to lectures. But they learn’t the most important of lessons – don’t fucking touch stuff if you don’t know what it’s going to do…

3 comments:

  1. I do remember finding this extremely funny at the time - the troepe didn't though. Even less so the fuckwit who fiddled with the stuff. His mates sorted him out afterwrds

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is hilarious! I wish more classes could be conducted in this manner!

    I just started viewing your blog and really enjoy all of the stories you share. As I'm from the US Army, naturally some things are different, but most things are universal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Philip - I remember watching Full Metal Jacket years ago and thinkng that even the way the instructors swore and insulted the new troops was the same

    ReplyDelete