Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Code 7 Troops - the nightmare gets worse



So the sports day is done, the buggers won’t transfer me to the border, and I’m stuck in Bethlehem (not the one with 3 wise men and a virgin). Devil eyes De Villiers calls me in and gives me the standard pep talk about how important the training function is and that it’s my duty to my country to be used where needed etc etc. Fuckity fuck. I’m now a training officer. Double fuckity fuck. I’ve been given the Code 7’s. My worst nightmare. I go the the Adjudant and apply to do the advanced demolitions course. And the bomb disposal course. And since part of the Regiment has duties in the townships, I want to go there too. Nope. Not now. Triply fucked by the five fickle fingers of fate…

I report to Capt William Endley and Major Johan van der Merwe. Both are cool people, and I end up getting on well with both of them. Tubby van Deventer is my sergeant and the Blackie Swart is the company Sgt Major. And the new troops are the absolute dregs of society. Two of them can’t read or write, most of them come from reform schools, and all of them are at least 4 synapses short of a brain cell. And I’m supposed to let them loose with a rifle and live ammo???

William is Country Manager in Sudan for an American security company. At some stage while he was in Baghdad doing security work he managed to get his hands on all of Saddam’s medals. Johan is head of security for the United Nations in Asia. Tubby and Blackie are both dead now.

No comments:

Post a Comment